Tips for packing a healthy school lunch
7th December 2020
Packing the school lunch box is one of the many daily tasks families juggle on busy weekdays. Making sure those lunch boxes are balanced and nutritious not only fuels your child’s body and mind for the day – but helps to set the foundations for a lifetime of healthy eating. No pressure!
To help make things easier, here are our top 5 tips for making the perfect lunch box:
- Kids love to get involved – let your kids make the final decisions on what goes in their lunch (from healthy food option) let them chose their favourite fruit or vegetable snack and for older kids; allow them to make their own lunches
- Get the basics right; in addition to the main lunch, always include fruit, vegetables, (plus extra for brain food or fruit break) add a healthy snack and water
- Make sure its practical; can kids open containers? Are the foods easy to hold, bite-sized and portable? Are the foods still appealing at lunch time or have they become soggy, warm or sticky? Fruit and veggies that stay firm and can be eaten in fingers like Snackables® carrots, cherry tomatoes and celery work well.
- Do what you can the night before – pre-pack fruit, vegetables or seeds in a container, make and freeze sandwiches, put an ice-bricks in the freezer
- Encourage your child to drink water – challenge them to empty their drink bottle twice each day; try adding a few pieces of frozen fruit will sweeten up the flavour and keep it cool.
With these tips in mind you will be well prepared to start the school year off on the right foot!